Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Budget Witchery #1

 7 Dollar store finds for budget witchery

When was the last time you were in a dollar store and in the mindset of looking specifically for items you can use in your craft? I have been practicing for nearly three decades now, and I still have a hard time thinking outside the box.

Here are a few things to keep in mind the next time you are in the dollar tree or other dollar stores. Some items you might already buy there for your mundane life. Keep in mind that not every dollar store carries the same things...


1. Herbs and spices

Do you use loose herbs for incense? Why not try using the ones from the dollar store rather than the more expensive ones you can get at the grocers? If you are lucky enough to find bay leaves and cinnamon sticks, it's like hitting the lottery. Well, maybe not the lottery, but it will surely put a smile on your face. At least it does for me. I use bay leaves for writing wishes on a lot.


2. Sea salt and seashells

The last time I was in Walmart and looked for sea salt, it was about $5 for a small jar. I use sea salt to represent earth on my altar much of the time. I also love to use sand (I have seen sand at the dollar store, but I would rather collect that for free from a beach). Seashells are a good item to have on hand for water spells or if you draw your power from water. I have even seen starfish at the dollar store.


3 .Candles

Where to start with candles? I could write an entire book just on candles. I have found the tall glass (7 day) candles in many colors at the dollar store. (I have also found them at Walmart for a dollar). Birthday candles are great when you have a spell that needs to be done quickly. They are also perfect when you don't have time to wait for a candle to burn down. They also have taper candles, tea lights, and jar candles. The sky is the limit.


4. Incense and holders

It would surprise you at expensive these can be in other shops. You can get plain wood ones and decorate them any way you like. I saw one a wonderfully crafty witch did with a crystal added and a bit of air dry clay to hold incense cones.


5.Glass jars

So many shapes and sizes. I don't think I really need to explain why glass jars are good to have on hand. We are all witches, after all. But I will say I have seen some pretty unique ones at the dollar store in cool shapes and different colors.


6. Offering dishes and goblets

I found the most amazing goblet at the dollar store a week ago. It had a very elaborate design and I was very surprised to find it there for only a dollar. It is also a good place to find the offering dish that you might want to keep on your altar.



7. Candleholders

Whether it's for taper candles or plates for pillar candles even small ones for tea lights, you will find a wide array of holders for all of your candles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  3 C’s You may have read or heard someone talking about the three c's. So what are they and why are they so important in witchcraft? Th...